Every design detail, big or small, sends a message about who a space is—or isn’t—intended for.
In the era of Lean healthcare design, we often design for the 80% of users that fall to the edges of “normal.” But when it comes to designing for equity, we can’t afford to exclude the other 20%. While there is no one-size-fits-all solution, by opening up the design process to more diverse voices, and truly engaging and understanding the patient populations an organization or facility serves, we can make design decisions that acknowledge the needs of the 20% while still functioning for the 80%.
In the spring issue of Medical Construction & Design, I talk about the importance of accessibility, choice and representation for inclusive healthcare design. I also offer a couple case studies in community engagement and how to ensure diverse voices have a seat at the table during the design process.
Read the full article here, on pages 40-43.
Kari Thorsen is an award-winning interior designer who is passionate about improving the experiences of patients, families, clinicians and staff through better healthcare design.